Following the advert’s closing date your Recruiter will forward you the qualified applications received through Careers at UTS.
In this stage of the recruitment process you need to assess all applications, shortlist possible candidates for interview and finally select a candidate for the position. As the Convenor you will manage this process on behalf of your recruiting Faculty or Division.
In most cases, you need to form a selection committee to assess and select a candidate. After undertaking the selection process the committee recommends the most suitable candidate for the position. Once this recommendation is approved, the candidate is appointed to the position.
Remember to ask candidates if they have worked at UTS in the last 12 months as a temporary staff member/fixed term contractor engaged through a recruitment agency. If the candidate has worked at UTS through an introduction by a recruitment agency in the previous 12 months it is likely a fee is payable to the recruitment agency should you select to appoint the candidate to the role. Contact the original appointing manager to review the agency’s terms of business or contact your Recruiter for advice.
Steps to select a candidate
The following tasks must be completed by all selection committee members, except where indicated that the task is for the Convenor only.
- Nominate selection committee members (Convenor).
- Confirm committee meetings and interview times (Convenor).
- Determine the selection techniques to be used in the process (Convenor).
- Prepare any material required to implement the selection techniques such as writing up the case studies or presentation topic (Convenor).
- Book interview rooms and organise conference phone with ITD if required (Convenor).
- Read the UTS Recruitment and Selection policy.
- Discuss the position to ensure committee members have a shared understanding of position and required candidate.
- Shortlist written applications.
- Write interview questions if not already completed under step 3.
- Contact candidates to schedule interviews, and inform them if you are using selection techniques other than the interview (Convenor).
- Check if any candidates have worked at UTS in the last 12 months as a temporary staff member/fixed term contractor engaged through a recruitment agency, which may mean a fee is payable to the agency (Convenor).
- To ensure candidate confidentiality make sure there is a separate waiting area so candidates do not meet each other
- Conduct interviews and other selection techniques.
- Deliberate on and select a candidate for appointment.
- Conduct reference checks (Convenor).
- Complete the Appointment Recommendation and Selection Committee Report form (Convenor).
- Destroy confidential recruitment documentation not required for the recruitment file held in HRU.