Honorary appointees are recognised academic, business or community leaders who associate themselves with UTS to collaborate with, assist and/or advise the Faculty to which they are appointed. Honorary appointees are not staff and therefore are not paid a salary or fee for service. Full details can be located in the Honorary Appointment Vice-Chancellor's Directive.
The follow types of Honorary Appointment can be made:
- Adjunct Professor (up to 3 years)
- Associate of a Faculty (up to 3 years).
- Visiting Professor, Visiting Fellow or Visiting Scholar (up to 2 years).
The honorary title of Emeritus Professor may be conferred by the UTS Council under the UTS Policy on University Honours.
Honorary Appointment Process Overview
- Supervisor completes the appropriate Honorary Appointment Form (there is a separate form for Adjunct Professors) and attaches the candidate’s CV.
- For Adjunct Professor appointments, the Dean/Director recommends the appointment and forwards a supporting memo and completed form to the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research) for further approval by the Reference Group and the Senior Deputy Vice Chancellor.
- Staff Services sends an invitation letter to candidate, with a copy sent to the supervisor.
- Staff Services creates a Neo account and Staff Identification number, once they have received a signed invitation letter from the candidate.
- Supervisor provides workplace induction, including email, computer, building and facility access.
- Supervisor claims for expenses by completing the Appointee Expenses to be reimbursed by UTS section on the Other Honorary Appointments and Adjunct Professor Appointment forms.
- Supervisor to provide ongoing supervision and support to the Honorary Appointee.
Honorary appointees cannot be paid a salary or fee for service. Some appointees may be provided with travel and living expenses and/or other expenses associated with the duties of the honorary appointee.
The Financial Services Unit (FSU) provides information regarding the payment of travel and living expenses to Honorary Appointments on the Financial Services Unit’s website – Information for Honorary Appointments.
The Dean or Director may approve the payment of expenses on the Other Honorary Appointments form OR the Adjunct Professor Appointment form. To claim expenses, the supervisor needs to submit a Payment Request Form and documentation required by FSU.
Honorary Appointees are required by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to obtain a valid visa before they enter Australia. It is the responsibility of the appointee to obtain the visa by contacting the Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s website – www.immi.gov.au.
Honorary Appointees should purchase comprehensive travel insurance prior to commencing travel. For some visas it is a requirement of the visa.
Common visas issued for Honorary Appointment positions may include:
- Visiting Academic Visa (subclass 419)
- eVisitor Visa (Class UC, Subclass 651)
- Short Validity Business Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 977)
- Short Stay Business Visa (subclass 456)
- Occupational Trainee Visa (subclass 442)
*Correct at time of writing – see Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s website for current visa options.
Please note, should an Honorary appointee receive payment other than authorized reimbursement for expenses, or become an employee, this could breach their visa conditions with significant legal implications for the individual and UTS. For more information please contact Staff Services on (02) 9514 1060.
NOTE: In September 2009 the Department of Immigration and Citizenship implemented significant changes in relation to Visiting Academics and their visa requirements. Therefore, if you are intending to offer an honorary appointment to an international appointee please contact Staff Services as soon as possible on (02) 9514 1060.
Honorary Appointees have similar rights, privileges and obligations to that of members of academics staff in respect to the use of the Library and IT Services, such as computer usage and email access. In order for an Honorary Appointee to use the Library facilities they first must receive a staff ID number, which is automatically emailed to the supervisor when the signed invitation letter is returned. Once provided with this number and a copy of the Invitation Letter, the Library will issue a Staff Identification/Library Card.