Planning for development can be guided by the following questions:
- What capabilities does the staff member need to develop to assist in achieving the agreed objectives for the period?
- What capabilities does the staff member need to develop to support performance improvement?
- What resources are required for the identified development activities?
- What does the supervisor need to do to support the agreed activities?
- What does the staff member need to do?
- What follow-up meetings need to be set in order to discuss the achievement of the agreed development activities?
In determining the development and support required, you need to consider three aspects:
In meeting the objectives for the year, you will need to demonstrate certain capabilities. You and your supervisor should look at the position description and the workplan and identify which capabilities are critical for you and which will receive emphasis in a particular review period.
Determine the development needs within the context of the work area and organisational goals.
Types of development and support opportunities
- Formal study
- Skills and professional development programs
- Professional Experience Program (academic staff)
- Participation in projects
- Informal mentoring
- Executive coaching
- Applying for academic promotion (academic staff)
- On line learning
- Access to written materials
- Professional associations and networks